Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Tale of Teas

Twinings Tea is my favorite brand of tea. This past summer, I picked up a couple of boxes of their herbal teas: Peppermint and Camomile. No, these aren't together.

I was a little skittish about the peppermint tea. But it turned out to be some what addictive. I have actually recently ran out of it and I haven't remember to pick some up when I go to the store. Peppermint is good for your digestive system, so anytime I have some digestive problems I would make a cup of tea and it would usually alleviate some if not all the symptoms. My mom has gotten into drinking it for those reasons. She usually waters down her pitcher of the tea. The 100% peppermint is a little too strong for her. Me? I think it's perfectly fine at full strength. Sometimes, when I have it steeping in my cup I let it steep longer than needed. It is just fine. In fact, I think that's why I find it addictive. I like the full and rich flavor of peppermint. And to me, serving it hot is the best. Yes, you would think with peppermint being such a cool herb that serving it chilled would compliment the flavor best. It is for a for a hot summers day when you want to cool yourself down. But seeing that I drink my teas in the evening, I'm ready to wind down and relax. The last thing I want to do is wake myself up with cool pure peppermint. Now, that it is finally getting cool down in my small corner of the South, I'm want hot tea after I come in from outside.

The Pure Camomile on the other hand, it most definitely an herbal tea meant to be served hot. Everyone knows that camomile helps with sleep. And there's something about the fact that it's hot that it makes it work even more. Strange that hot tea and warm milk helps with sleep while you need to be cool at temperature to sleep comfortably. I haven't tried camomile chilled.....it hasn't even crossed my mind to try it that way. Anyway, I still have lots of bags of that left. It's not that I don't like it. I do actually. Camomile has to strike a mood for me. The flavor is awesome though. I actually like Twinings camomile better than Stash's. The flavor is just stronger and the effects of the camomile stick with you better and longer. Can you tell I like my teas strong? But the best thing about these two teas.....they are both naturally caffeine free! This makes it perfect for drinking tea in the evening.

And here are some freebies:
  • The Twinings website as a tea explorer. You can use this to find what Twinings tea fits you best according to type, flavor, form, tea time, mood, how you take it, and whether you like it decaffeinated. Find your tea here.
  • Checking out the what's new on the site. They have a Christmas Tea and a Winter Spice Tea. I don't know if I can get it around it here, but have to try it!

No comments: